Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

Need your help! I visited Chrysler dealer!And recieved again following mistake! P0123!No mistake in transmission!
Whan I reach kick down point my car goes into save mode and check engine like come out.Only whan I reach kick down. Turn of and start my car and everything fine again till I reach kick down.
I change the whole pedal with two sensors but it does not helped me.
Realy need your recomendations!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Default Re: P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

Originally Posted by BadBoy007
Need your help! I visited Chrysler dealer!And recieved again following mistake! P0123!No mistake in transmission!
Whan I reach kick down point my car goes into save mode and check engine like come out.Only whan I reach kick down. Turn of and start my car and everything fine again till I reach kick down.
I change the whole pedal with two sensors but it does not helped me.
Realy need your recomendations!
Check on line, P0123 code is for the Throttle Position Sensor, not the Petal sensor. Might check the connections at the throtle body on the engine or the connectors in the computer area. could be the TPS on the throtle body itself also.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chris2806126
Check on line, P0123 code is for the Throttle Position Sensor, not the Petal sensor. Might check the connections at the throtle body on the engine or the connectors in the computer area. could be the TPS on the throtle body itself also.

The TPS can not be replaced seperately. It is part of the throttle body. i attached pages from the service manual.

Chris
Throttle body.pdf

Throttle body Part Number.pdf

Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

This is a bitchhie problem, I have had it and cleaned the TPS to no avail. Found that one brand of throttle booster caused it ( Velocity). Had to stop using it.

Took pedal apart too and got no improvement, it happens when your WOT for about 2 seconds, not less. Car is going into a limp mode till you shut it off.......Bummer.

The dual throttle sensors are differential, one goes up, other goes down and computer compares them, more throttle more error is POTENTIAL>.

Id re connect all connectors and do a throttle reset. Go out and drive and be in third gear for example and slowly go WOT. Note the time that the throttle is on the floor and see if it is about 2 seconds or maybe not and report back. There two sets of sensors. One in the TB and one in the pedal, either can cause issue.

It would be nice to have a car to swap with to check the parts so as to determine "which end of the snake has the tail.." In the army they taught me how to kill snakes in survival, simply cut off the tail and the snake is rendered harmless immediatley.

Woody

Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 AM

Realy thank you Woody! I change the whole pedal with 2 sensors on it! So it is not a pedal! What we have is a TPS am i write? Will it be possible to change it without changing the whole throttle body? And it is realy intersing I see that 96% of limp home mode happens to me in the morning whan I go to work and reach kick down- each day!In the evening I can reach 100 times and everything is good! I see this tendency within 2 weeks
Best regards,
Steven

Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Default P0123 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

And also I can stay on parking without driving and reach kick down for less than 1 second and it happens! On on the question more or less than two seconds I can answer 100% leass than one second. I just reach kick down wether I drive or stay less or more than for 1 seconds it does not metter but it happens.
Hope to hier you soon.
Steven

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBoy007
Realy thank you Woody! I change the whole pedal with 2 sensors on it! So it is not a pedal! What we have is a TPS am i write? Will it be possible to change it without changing the whole throttle body? And it is realy intersing I see that 96% of limp home mode happens to me in the morning whan I go to work and reach kick down- each day!In the evening I can reach 100 times and everything is good! I see this tendency within 2 weeks
Best regards,
Steven
Diagnosis, your car does not like going to work.
Valve body/plate problem?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that this is more of a trans problem since it happens when he's trying to get the car into a lower gear. Maybe a loose vacuum line or bad sensor in the trans.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
This is a bitchhie problem, I have had it and cleaned the TPS to no avail. Found that one brand of throttle booster caused it ( Velocity). Had to stop using it.

Took pedal apart too and got no improvement, it happens when your WOT for about 2 seconds, not less. Car is going into a limp mode till you shut it off.......Bummer.

The dual throttle sensors are differential, one goes up, other goes down and computer compares them, more throttle more error is POTENTIAL>.

Id re connect all connectors and do a throttle reset. Go out and drive and be in third gear for example and slowly go WOT. Note the time that the throttle is on the floor and see if it is about 2 seconds or maybe not and report back. There two sets of sensors. One in the TB and one in the pedal, either can cause issue.

It would be nice to have a car to swap with to check the parts so as to determine "which end of the snake has the tail.." In the army they taught me how to kill snakes in survival, simply cut off the tail and the snake is rendered harmless immediatley.

Woody
Curious to know if this was resolved?

Just got a code P0123 on my XF as well yesterday. A truck almost ran me off the road so I slammed on the gas, car didn't accelerate as fast as it normally does. Then the pedal was unresponsive. The CEL was already on for a P0455 evap leak so I didn't see when in time the P0123 came in.

I took the first exit. Car hardly moved in the parking lot when going through. Parked. Scanned the code, cleared it. Waited a bit and then it drove home fine the next hour. No problems since. This was yesterday. Curious to know what it might be?

Eric

Old 02-04-2023, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting.... It was cold today (15F) and I hadn't run my 04 in at least a week. It sleeps outside. At start up, starter cranked the engine for 4 or 5 seconds as engine was firing but not quite running on its own. Ran rough for a few seconds and then idled smoothly. Started driving and though smooth there was hardly any acceleration. 0-10 mph took around 3s, lol. Returned home and plugged in scan tool. Pending code P0123. I reset the fault and set out driving again. After nearly a mile, P0123 was pending again. Even in neutral the rpms would only increase very slowly. Reset the pending code 1 more time and drove 20 miles and it didn't come back. Have not investigated further. But one thing has me curious - engine turnover was slow at first start up. My battery has a 3 year replacement warranty, and I bought it 35+ months ago. I know how finicky Crossfires can be with batteries and I'm wondering if the battery could be an issue in this situation - requiring a little sustained driving with sufficient rpms to charge battery?

Old 02-05-2023, 02:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Have exactly the same problem except P0122. Floor it cold and not much happens for a while. Usually heals when warms up. Ordered a replacement on e-Bay that included connectors (one if manual trans, 2nd two wire connector if automagic) & stubs, makes easy to check on bench. Should be here late next week.
ps when not driving I leave my toys on a NOCO Genius 1 float charger. Also I replace only with AGM batteries and use synthetic oil

Last edited by Padgett; 02-05-2023 at 02:20 PM.