Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Broken fog light cover: a repair question

Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken fog light cover: a repair question

Hi folks. I seemed to have hit a rock while driving on the freeway recently and broke the fog light cover. Thank god it was just that! Now that I'm looking to fix it, I'm wondering if it's a do-it-yourself job. Does anyone know how simple of a job it is -- and if it is, would you kindly give me an instruction? Thanks a lot.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Default Re: Broken fog light cover: a repair question

The repair is simple. The challenge for me was finding a replacement fog light assembly. Once I found the assembly, I removed the damaged fog light, swapped out the internals (because the replacement did not match my OEM fog light), then installed the new fog light assembly. There is an access door in the inner fender that you need to open in order to remove and install the fog light. The repair took me less than 15 minutes. You should not have any problem figuring out how to do it.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Here's a great reference I found for fixing fog lights:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...oose-caps.html

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Towncrier,
Thanks a lot for the link. I'm not so mechanically inclined and therefore not sure how it will turn out. We'll see. Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my light break similarly and when I went to have it replaced the dealer said that the lens is not available by itself and advised I would have to replace the entire assembly. A couple hundred bucks.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

True. The lens is not available separately. I have one, but haven't figured out yet how to remove the old one without breaking the assembly.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Hi folks. I seemed to have hit a rock while driving on the freeway recently and broke the fog light cover. Thank god it was just that! Now that I'm looking to fix it, I'm wondering if it's a do-it-yourself job. Does anyone know how simple of a job it is -- and if it is, would you kindly give me an instruction? Thanks a lot.
When messing with the Fog Light Assemblies, although there is a small access door on the inner wing, I found it made it much easier for access, to remove 3 or 4 screws from the Inner wing itself, and pull the inner wing back. gives much easier access, particularly if you end up wrong handed.
My foglight broke, but I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a spare one, and sold it to me cheap.
TerryR

Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM

I just spoke to a service guy at Modesto Chrysler and here's the price quote I got: the fog light repair will cost $337.50, $270.00 for the part and $67.50 in labor, plus about $22.62 in tax. Does this sound reasonable?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM

I just spoke to a service guy at Modesto Chrysler and here's the price quote I got: the fog light repair will cost $337.50, $270.00 for the part and $67.50 in labor, plus about $22.62 in tax. Does this sound reasonable?
Reasonable if you are the guy installing it...
This is a great opportunity to feel like your getting a grip on the Crossfire as this is surely a DIY job.
Buy a fog light assembly from e-bay or online junk yard a set of mid range Jack Stands and follow the fog light front bumper removal/install instructions here in the forum.
You should be able to save several hundred dollars and feel good about cutting your teeth on a job that only looks tough. Be prepared to spend a couple hours your first time.
I wouldn't tell you that it is a DIY job if I didn't have complete faith you can do a very good job on it.
Mike
PS pick up some new tools with the huge savings for after this job you may get enough self confidance as a up and coming Crossfire mechanic you'll find yourself attempting more and more services.

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 04-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Lol, thanks, Mike. You have a great attitude. I appreciate the can-do attitude and your encouragement.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

The hardest job would be getting a new foglight. Don't know what the going rate is, but fitting it is a breeze, 15 minute job. Althought there is an access door in the inner wing, I removed about 4 screws that hold the front part of the inner wing in place, and pulled it back. 2 nuts hold the foglight in position, remove nuts, twist the bulb holder to release. Fitting the new one is the reverse. EASY.
NOW try and buy a new foglight??? They come up on E-Bay now and again,
much cheaper than $270, if you have the patience to wait.
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a extra fog light for the passenger side. I don't know if yours is completely broke. But if so I have a fog light that has a few surface cracks from hitting a rock as well but didn't break. Its still fully intact. Figured it work for alwile till you get a new one. May take some time to get one, especialy at a reasonable price. Ill do 25$ + shipping

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Got here again for a few reason. I badly need help for my crossfire 06. ok so the fog light cover on my left fog light is gone, the glass was broken coz i hit a cat going about 60, it was at night, on really twisy windy hilly roads and the little **** jumps out of nowhere, i swear it was trying to commit suicide, i felt really bad for the car, but i felt even worse for my fog light. ugh, so yea, does anybody know how much and where i can get a new piece of glass for it would be or do i just have to get a new one? Or could be a shop in near in our place.

Last edited by nelsonadams; 08-27-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfire725
I have a extra fog light for the passenger side. I don't know if yours is completely broke. But if so I have a fog light that has a few surface cracks from hitting a rock as well but didn't break. Its still fully intact. Figured it work for alwile till you get a new one. May take some time to get one, especialy at a reasonable price. Ill do 25$ + shipping
I see another poor guy lost his foglight. Well, I really appreciate your offer and, if at all possible, I'd love to see a photo of it. If it's too much hassle for you, I understand. I'm not really worried about the cost but I wanted to make sure I'm not swindled as I'm not always that street smart. However, if yours is in reasonably decent condition, why not use them? If the cracks are too obvious, I probably will go with a new one. Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Forum Regular
Post Re: Broken fog light cover: a repair question

Nelson, you will have to buy the entire assembly. Ebay if you're willing to wait, else Google the term "buy Mopar parts online" for a list of dealers who sell online. Not all online Mopar dealers sell Crossfire parts so you will have to look. But the install is really easy for any screwdriver jockey.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 AM

I need to replace or remove the fog lights from my 2005 Crossfire. Passenger side lens is broken. Replacement is very expensive since there was a recall and both sides need to be replaced. But does anybody have a spare one for sale (passenger side) reasonably or know of an aftermarket replacement. Also how to best access and remove the fog light assembly the small access panel does not give enough room unless maybe the tire and wheel are removed. Also need a new access panel as mine apparently fell off at some point (passenger side). You can answer here or email me at treyleblanc@hotmail.com.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by treyleblanc
I need to replace or remove the fog lights from my 2005 Crossfire. Passenger side lens is broken. Replacement is very expensive since there was a recall and both sides need to be replaced. But does anybody have a spare one for sale (passenger side) reasonably or know of an aftermarket replacement. Also how to best access and remove the fog light assembly the small access panel does not give enough room unless maybe the tire and wheel are removed. Also need a new access panel as mine apparently fell off at some point (passenger side). You can answer here or email me at treyleblanc@hotmail.com.
You can buy the door that fits over the access hole from Needswings at a good price. The light is a different story, new cost over $200 each, and used ones about half this price. You can try eBay or a local or not so local wreckers. A begging letter in the WTB forum may work though.