Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Fuel Injection Service... worth the price at the dealer?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection Service... worth the price at the dealer?

Hey all,

I'm considering having my fuel injectors cleaned. My question is whether to have it done at Chrysler or at the local Firestone. I talked to the managers at both places. They both outlined the same process:

1. Clean Throttle Body
2. Apple chemicals to the fuel line before the injectors
3. Put an additive in the tank

The thing is Firestone wants $90 and Chrysler wants $185. I think the Chrysler manager said something about removing the throttle body to clean both sides of the plates.. not sure if Firestone would do it. Any recommendations? Is Chrysler worth the extra cash?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Injection Service... worth the price at the dealer?

My recommendation would be to buy your own fuel injection cleaner additive at WalMart, dump it in your tank
per the label instructions, and then go out to dinner with the money you just saved.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
My recommendation would be to buy your own fuel injection cleaner additive at WalMart, dump it in your tank
per the label instructions, and then go out to dinner with the money you just saved.
I've tried this.. the problems I'm having got worse when I used cleaner until I used up all the gas in the tank at that time. Weird, I know...

Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious as to what type of problems you are/were having. Could it have been from a bad tank of gas of a fuel filter that needs changing? A lot of folks use Seafoam and swear by it. I use it in my vehicles and motorcycles that are going into winter storage, it's also suppose to help clean the injectors. Just a thought.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it....besides, do you really think it will make a difference...or better yet, do you really think the dealer is doing you a favor...if you must do this, do it on your own...but, again, if it is running fine, leave it alone...

Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my Dodge Intrepid was running a little off and I put in a can of Seafoam with a tank of gas and ran it down close to empty to clean up the injectors ..... the car is running very smooth now.... it does have 125K miles on it....

edit: and cleaning the throttle body is an easy job... take off the intake, pull the connector off the TB, pull 4 bolts and you have it in your hand....clean to your hearts content....

Last edited by MikeR; 10-09-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MikeR
my Dodge Intrepid was running a little off and I put in a can of Seafoam with a tank of gas and ran it down close to empty to clean up the injectors ..... the car is running very smooth now.... it does have 125K miles on it....

edit: and cleaning the throttle body is an easy job... take off the intake, pull the connector off the TB, pull 4 bolts and you have it in your hand....clean to your hearts content....
X2 , but unfortunately, not everyone knows how to do this most basic procedure. And that is why the dealers and auto shops take advantage of it.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 AM

I'd love to do this by myself, and I had even cleaned my VW's injectors by adding the seafoam right to the vacuum line (huge amounts of white smoke ensued) but alas I just moved into an apartment complex that doesn't allow working of cars in the lot. I tried. I got in trouble lol.

I'm having a really intermittent stumbling problem and a somewhat intermittent hesitation problem... the dealer can't find anything wrong with it although they did feel the hesitation. It's pretty annoying and really souring the whole Crossfire experience for me its been doing this since I bought the car in April. Normally I'd do some more diagnostic work on my own, but like I said I can't. The dealer recommended the cleaning. I'm getting the fuel filter replaced this week as well (along with four new tires, an alignment, a coolant & oil change, a new cabin filter, a new foglight and an interior and exterior detailing... yeah my wallet will be a lot lighter by Friday )

Edit: I've also cleaned my VW's throttle body.. I'm a pretty competent shade tree mechanic... just in my current situation I have to rely on getting work professionally done.

Last edited by greenlightracer; 10-09-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:41 AM

Everything your having done is great, but we don't know anything about your car without your signature, or additional info. How many miles? Last service? etc.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Everything your having done is great, but we don't know anything about your car without your signature, or additional info. How many miles? Last service? etc.
yes sir, on a car forum, we sometimes forget that time becomes a problem for some of us, and we have to rely on someone else doing the work...and that is just fine...pick a well recommended mechanic that knows these little beauties and you will be fine...a miss here and there is a hard one to diagnose sometimes. Certainly won't hurt to clean the injectors, and the cleaner doesn't stop there...it works on other parts of the motor as well...sometimes good, sometimes not...a fuel filter is good too...but, be sure they check all vacuum hoses as well, and recheck after putting the throttle body back on...if they take it off at all...lol....good luck...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Do are quick search on "throttle reset" and see if that helps. Sometimes it's the simple stuff. I have 36k on my roadster, 16k on my SRT6, and 176k on my A6 and a monthly bottle of $1.79 fuel injector cleaner from WalMart seems to keep things running well.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the great things in this country is that there are lots of other places that you can work on your car, other than your apartment building's parking lot.

You can work on your car in the parking lot at the Autozone or Pep's Boys that you buy parts from, or a Walmart parking lot, or lots of other places.

From your symptoms, the first thing I would inspect would be the spark plugs and wires, to make sure everything is mounted properly. Then I would pull off the plugs one at a time and see if you notice one plug being fouled, or running leaner than the rest.

I would check the condition of the air filters, and make sure the connection from the air box to the throttle body is perfect after that is done.

If that doesn't produce results, then I would follow up with the forum with more information after that.

Since we don't know how many miles, or what year your car is, we can't really ask if you've had certain things done to the car yet.

We need info.

BC.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the seafoam Im a beleiver !!! Use both the spray & the ad to tank one !!!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back with the info... won't happen again! My Crossfire is a 06 with 22,500 on the clock... manual trans.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by greenlightracer
Sorry it took so long to get back with the info... won't happen again! My Crossfire is a 06 with 22,500 on the clock... manual trans.
So what's the status? Did you Seafoam? Problem fixed?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 PM

So what's the status? Did you Seafoam? Problem fixed?
No resolution yet, and most of the work I had planned on getting done last week didn't happen... it all hinged on getting new tires, and I was just able to track down the ones I need over the weekend. Anyways, provided I can procure a fuel filter tomorrow, I'm going to have it changed by Mercedes on Wednesday when I get my oil/coolant/brake fluid changed. I most likely will have the fuel service done at Firestone when I have the tires installed either at the end of this week or next week

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 AM

"I most likely will have the fuel service done at Firestone when I have the tires installed" quote
Firestone will hopefully appreciate your business. I hope their service works for you.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Forum Regular

I think you're wasting your time & your money. I'd just use a bottle of guaranteed pass in your fuel tank & then from then on use only Shell v-power fuel. My minivan has about 160,000 miles & still runs smooth. There's no reason why your fuel injectors should be dirty or clogged unless u regularly put Junk (no brand) gasoline in your car & less than 90 octane.
please let us know the results of what happens. Best of luck.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by antonio311
I think you're wasting your time & your money. I'd just use a bottle of guaranteed pass in your fuel tank & then from then on use only Shell v-power fuel. My minivan has about 160,000 miles & still runs smooth. There's no reason why your fuel injectors should be dirty or clogged unless u regularly put Junk (no brand) gasoline in your car & less than 90 octane.
please let us know the results of what happens. Best of luck.

Ok I get it.. NO ONE thinks I should have it done OR I should do it myself. My question however was not IF I should get it done but rather if I should get it done at the dealer. I only use V-Power, but I only got the car in April, and the car sat for nearly three year of it's life (it took two years for it to even be sold, and it was waiting for 8 months before I bought it). Who knows what was put into before hand. I don't think it's a waste of money to do maintenance, especially on a German car (which is all I've owned since I was 17, and I've done most of the work to all of them before the Crossfire). Thanks for your opinion guys...

Mod can feel *free* to close this thread...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

Good luck with it, Let us know what the results are. Also I would have said go with the dealer if they actually knew how to work on a Crossfire, but they don't, so use whomever u feel more comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Service... worth the price at the dealer?