Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How in heck do you stick anything to the dash?!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How in heck do you stick anything to the dash?!

Okay, one little thing is driving me nuts -- how do you stick anything to the dash of the Xfire? That weird pebbly surface looks cool and all, but I can't get *anything* to adhere to it.

Been trying to mount a disc for a GPS and have tried everything to no avail. The sticky pads on the backs of the discs just fall off. So do those 3M sticky strips, two-sided mounting tape for cars, the blue gummy gunk for walls, etc. I can't even get the GPS suction cup to stick to the damn inside of the windshield for more than a few mins without it falling off. It's like the whole inside of the car is coated with some magic repellent. Which in some ways is cool.

Anybody else having this problem? It's driving me crazy. Just want to mount a little Garmin 350 without drilling any holes. Don't want to use the holders that mount to the air vents, as I find they scratch and can get caught and break the grills of the vents. Already had that happen to another car of mine, so not going there again. About to give up and get one of those bean-bag weight things, although the way the dash peaks in the middle, I'm not sure that will work either. What I really want to do is mount a disc on the glove compartment and stick the GPS to that.

Some help would be mucho appreciated!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: How in hell do you stick anything to the dash?!

Hold the suction cup to the windshield then say the incantation, "Abracadabra" which will remove the Repellent spell

I got my gps suction cup to stay on my windshield. and my gps is a Cobra Navone 3000 which is probably 2.5 times bigger than a garmin.

I wouldn't stick anything to the dash with glue or tape or anything adhesive, but the sun will do much harm to it. Then it'll be a mess.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tom tom 150 and it sticks to the windshield like glue. It has the twist lock suction cup though...

Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This what I got to mount my GPS

This black donut, sandbag Ashtray...is it for holding your GPS ...

Last edited by Bill F; 04-27-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bill F
Don't do the link. Tried to drop some malware on computer.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way to go:

ProClip Mounting System - Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

It is much more secure than dash/windshield mount and doesn't block your vision.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any sort of vinyl dressing on the dash? That will definitely compromise the ability of any adhesive to stick to it. Not sure why on earth you want to deface and potentially ruin the dash with an adhesive product though.

Like xodus52, I've not had a problem getting my TomTom to stick to the windshield either.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Mike, I'm not talking about glue or any sort of dash-damaging adhesive. I don't know where you get that from in my original post. I'd never do anything like that or screws, etc. Posted here to avoid that.

I'm talking about a plain old non-destructive two-way mounting tape or whatever--that works. I have nothing on the dash at all. I'm just wondering how some people here did mount discs for GPS units in places like on the front of the glove compartment. See it in some pics, but I try that and it just falls off. Tried three different suction cup models, from the Garmin to Scosche to no-name eBay crap. Won't stay on the windshield more than a couple of minutes when moving. Work fine in my two other cars.

Probably going to go with this:

Pro.Fit Legend Series Vehicle-Specific Mount Chrysler Crossfire 2004-up at Crutchfield.com

Location I like. Don't like where the ProClips thing mounts, too low for me.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toddy,

try rubbing the area of the windshield you will be using to mount the suction cup with a little rubbing alcohol. Should remove whatever oils are on the glass. If this does not work, get a new suction cup....

Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by danimal
The only way to go:

ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

It is much more secure than dash/windshield mount and doesn't block your vision.
There is a link worth saving.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddy
Mike, I'm not talking about glue or any sort of dash-damaging adhesive. I don't know where you get that from in my original post. I'd never do anything like that or screws, etc. Posted here to avoid that.

I'm talking about a plain old non-destructive two-way mounting tape or whatever--that works. I have nothing on the dash at all. I'm just wondering how some people here did mount discs for GPS units in places like on the front of the glove compartment. See it in some pics, but I try that and it just falls off. Tried three different suction cup models, from the Garmin to Scosche to no-name eBay crap. Won't stay on the windshield more than a couple of minutes when moving. Work fine in my two other cars.

Probably going to go with this:

Pro.Fit Legend Series Vehicle-Specific Mount Chrysler Crossfire 2004-up at Crutchfield.com

Location I like. Don't like where the ProClips thing mounts, too low for me.
The thought of sticking any sort of adhesive on the dash is just something I would never even consider. Anything that will come off super easy and clean isn't going to leave the dash totally unmarred, and any adhesive baking in the sun is going to play havoc over time. I know you weren't going to drill into the dash or anything like that (but you should see some of the crazy things I've seen people do to really nice cars) but I just can't imagine any sort of adhesive on my dash.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I purchased my Garmin it came with a round, plastic disk with adhesive tape. I pulled off the paper, stuck it to the top of the dash and it has been there every since. I much prefer this location to the windshield.

As Mike said, maybe you had some treatment on the dash. I didn't, mine stuck.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

No problem with Garmin or radar detector suction cups. They stick well and last for weeks. Make sure the window is clean and dampen the suction cup with a little spit (from your finger, not hawking a big lugee on it) helps it adhere. The do make bean bag Garmin stands which you can find online for about $30-40 (google is your friend).

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegaslegal
Don't do the link. Tried to drop some malware on computer.
I just tried it and it didn't do it to me.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Default Re: How in heck do you stick anything to the dash?!

Mike, again, I'm talking about 3M strips, something like that, that leave NO damage behind when you take them off. Used them around the house on all sorts of surfaces for years and never had any damage. Like the stuff on the back of GPS mounting discs, but something that works with our pebbly dashes. Honestly, I'm not going to gunk up the dash. My cars are all mint, I look after them. Anyhow, nobody seems to have any advice about such a magic substance, so I'll give up and go with the Pro.Fit thing from Crutchfield. No stickies, no screws.

I wonder if the previous owner used some kind of treatment on the dash, because nothing adheres to it. Sure doesn't seem like it, though. Same deal with the windshield. Wonder if some kind of anti-fogging was used, because suction cups just don't stay on. I can use the same GPS and suction cup in my 300, it stays for weeks without budging, but it falls off in the Xfire within about 10 minutes, max. It's kind of bizarre.

Last edited by Toddy; 04-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular

Garmin Dash Mount?

Garmin Mini Dash Mount?

We use the Garmin Dash Mount for the GPS and the ProClip for the iPhone.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by rekcah
Hold the suction cup to the windshield then say the incantation, "Abracadabra" which will remove the Repellent spell

I got my gps suction cup to stay on my windshield. and my gps is a Cobra Navone 3000 which is probably 2.5 times bigger than a garmin.

I wouldn't stick anything to the dash with glue or tape or anything adhesive, but the sun will do much harm to it. Then it'll be a mess.
Some states don't permit using the suction cups on the windshield. It can obstruct your vision.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Several years ago I had one of those suction cup note pad gizmos so I could jot notes while driving. However, after the purchase of a different car it would no longer work with the angle of the new windshield and angle of the dash.

I used silicone seal, the kind you find in the home improvement stores, to smear a small dab on the suction cup and applied the suction cup to the dash. This lasted for over two years until I traded it on another new car.

It removed very easily and cleaned up with rubbing alcohol, leaving no tell tale signs that it had ever been there.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

DO NOT leave a GPS holder visible in your car when you leave it unattended. Thieves may think that the GPS unit itself is hidden in the glove box or console. Whose car are they going to break into the one with no holder visible or the one with the visible holder?
They may think that it is worth the risk to smash the glass or rip your top open to find out. It has happened around here, people like these toys and they sell easily.
For that matter never leave anything visible in your car, take it with you or hide it in the trunk, under the trunk carpet works in the coupe for smaller items, looking through the hatch who's to say the mat is a foot above the trunk floor?