Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

PO100 Mass Air Flow / Check Engine Light

Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO100 Mass Air Flow / Check Engine Light

I have a 2004 with 54,000 miles. Check Engine Light is constantly on with error code PO100, Mass Air Flow. Engine studders at stops or when initially depressing gas pedal. Sometimes stalls out in these situations but runs great on highway, Etc. Anyone have a similar problem?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Default Re: PO100 Mass Air Flow / Check Engine Light

Originally Posted by PrisonGuy
I have a 2004 with 54,000 miles. Check Engine Light is constantly on with error code PO100, Mass Air Flow. Engine studders at stops or when initially depressing gas pedal. Sometimes stalls out in these situations but runs great on highway, Etc. Anyone have a similar problem?
had the same problem on my 04 ltd (105,000 miles) 2 months ago. it is the mass airflow sensor situated right on top of the throttle body where the air comes into your motor. the function is to sense the ammount of air flowing into the throttle body and through the computor calculate how much fuel to through down the injectors.

the car will get progresivly worse and will spit fuel out the exhaust. bosch sell the part here in South Africa for R 999.00 (about $128).

changed the part reset the fault codes and runs like new again. the dealership here said it is due to poor air filter maintenance dust and crap clogs the two annodes in the sensor. my filters had a black dust like substince almost the same as break dust which blocked the filters.

you can remove it clean it with carb cleaner spray. just dont touch the sensotive sensors. they will break. simply spray clean wait to dry and put back.

i sure im right on this one.... anyone else got any ideas ????????

Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Athol H.
had the same problem on my 04 ltd (105,000 miles) 2 months ago. it is the mass airflow sensor situated right on top of the throttle body where the air comes into your motor. the function is to sense the ammount of air flowing into the throttle body and through the computor calculate how much fuel to through down the injectors.

the car will get progresivly worse and will spit fuel out the exhaust. bosch sell the part here in South Africa for R 999.00 (about $128).

changed the part reset the fault codes and runs like new again. the dealership here said it is due to poor air filter maintenance dust and crap clogs the two annodes in the sensor. my filters had a black dust like substince almost the same as break dust which blocked the filters.

you can remove it clean it with carb cleaner spray. just dont touch the sensotive sensors. they will break. simply spray clean wait to dry and put back.

i sure im right on this one.... anyone else got any ideas ????????
Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner by CRC - Part 05110 - Advance Auto Parts

Yes. Please use a product MADE FOR Mass Airflow Sensors. Regular carb and choke cleaner will damage the MAF.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner by CRC - Part 05110 - Advance Auto Parts

Yes. Please use a product MADE FOR Mass Airflow Sensors. Regular carb and choke cleaner will damage the MAF.

thanks maxcichon i thought it could be the maf sensor. i see in other posts the new maf senor goes for $38 from ebay. imo new is always better

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PrisonGuy
I have this problem, code P0100. I have the service manual and it explains how to remove the MAF but it's not specific enough for me to understand. It's all plastic and I don't wnat to break something but I need to remove it to clean it with MAF cleaner. The Chrysler dealer gave me a song and dance that it's Crossfire/Chrysler specific, can't be cleaned, and has to be ordered from Germany for $660! Anyhow, if someone could tell how to twist, unlock or whatever to remove the MAF I'd reallty appreaciate it.

Bruce

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by delornut
I have this problem, code P0100. I have the service manual and it explains how to remove the MAF but it's not specific enough for me to understand. It's all plastic and I don't wnat to break something but I need to remove it to clean it with MAF cleaner. The Chrysler dealer gave me a song and dance that it's Crossfire/Chrysler specific, can't be cleaned, and has to be ordered from Germany for $660! Anyhow, if someone could tell how to twist, unlock or whatever to remove the MAF I'd reallty appreaciate it.

Bruce
Ask Needswings.

Last edited by maxcichon; 05-06-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 AM

[quote=delornut]I have this problem, code P0100. I have the service manual and it explains how to remove the MAF but it's not specific enough for me to understand. It's all plastic and I don't wnat to break something but I need to remove it to clean it with MAF cleaner. The Chrysler dealer gave me a song and dance that it's Crossfire/Chrysler specific, can't be cleaned, and has to be ordered from Germany for $660! Anyhow, if someone could tell how to twist, unlock or whatever to remove the MAF I'd reallty appreaciate it

it is fairly simple to remove.
1. take off the engine cover
2. remove the air intake and filter box
3. remove the maf using the three steel spring clips and bobs your uncle. 15 min.

as stated in a previous post Bosch are the agents for this part and is available here in South Africa for R999 ($143) google them they will sell you the part and ship it to you as well. i will find the part number and post it here for you as well.

i have been advised that you can submerge it in hot water to loosen up all the dirt prior to cleaning.

hope this helps

Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Thak you for all the suggestions. I did order the MAF on EBay but I'm wondering if the problem could be something else. I idled the engine without the air cleaner the other day and it was after that the check engine light and code P0100 appeared. If I disconnect the battery andclear the codes I can start the engine and drive with no problem and no check engine light. On the second restart the light will come back on and I get an occasional stumble accelerating from a stop light. Could this be something other than the MAF?

Bruce

Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 PM

delorut,
P0100 refers to the MAF circuit not necessarily the MAF itself, could be some thing as simple as a bad connection in the plug.
I've been doing a lot of research myself trying to track down a P0171 code, learning a lot as I go. Something as simple as a bad seal around the O-ring on the oil dipstick can set off a code !

list of codes from MB.org...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...codes-dtc.html

OBD code's / trouble shooting...
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0100

P.S. over on the MB forum there suggesting not buying an after market MAF sensor but rather to be sure it's a genuine Bosch replacement.

Last edited by billangiep; 05-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Those are two good reference links! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by billangiep
delorut,
P0100 refers to the MAF circuit not necessarily the MAF itself, could be some thing as simple as a bad connection in the plug.
I've been doing a lot of research myself trying to track down a P0171 code, learning a lot as I go. Something as simple as a bad seal around the O-ring on the oil dipstick can set off a code !

list of codes from MB.org...
Mercedes-Benz Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) for 1996+ models - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

OBD code's / trouble shooting...
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0100 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction

P.S. over on the MB forum there suggesting not buying an after market MAF sensor but rather to be sure it's a genuine Bosch replacement.

Dude stunning post well done

one question though ...what a list of codes. how many of these apply to the N/A Xfire? We dont get the "base" here in SA we only get two versions the 3.2V6LTD and the SRT-6

Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 AM

I believe most of the codes are pretty much generic to the 3.2.
There is a code list here (some where ) specific to the Crossfire I believe ?
The base and the LTD are the same animal.

As a note...it's been recommended that we " DO NOT " use air filters such as K&N that are oil impregnated. This can contaminate the MAF causing it to fail, also clean the MAF at the time you change your air filters.
I cleaned the MAF over the weekend, it looked shinny new on the inside no dirt dust ext. but I can tell when I took it for a spin afterwords the difference was night and day !
Bill,

Last edited by billangiep; 05-10-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM

[quote=billangiep]I believe most of the codes are pretty much generic to the 3.2.

Shot dude

i have noticed that the k&n forced air induction i have on my Xfire feels more responsive but only on a small degree. i have read posts of a merc C430 airbox being fitted and the difference was night and day. im confued is the std merc airbox that good or was it just the change from std.

off topic but i have got my hands on a C 55 AMG motor and transmission from an accedent recovery yard whith no fault codes.

my plan is to do a "heart transplant" into my Xfire. the local performance service centre all say the motors phisical size is too big and i would need to cut the hood for the kompressor to fit......your and others opinion please !!!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by billangiep
I believe most of the codes are pretty much generic to the 3.2.

As a note...it's been recommended that we " DO NOT " use air filters such as K&N that are oil impregnated. This can contaminate the MAF causing it to fail, also clean the MAF at the time you change your air filters.
I cleaned the MAF over the weekend, it looked shinny new on the inside no dirt dust ext. but I can tell when I took it for a spin afterwords the difference was night and day !
Bill,
I looked at the MAF sensors listed at autohausaz.com and they list a different part number and slightly lower price for a Mercedes slk320 MAF sensor vs the Crossfire. They list a Bosch w0133-1600866 for $198 for the Crossfire and a Bosch 0280217515 for $175 for the SLK320. I don't think the Crossfire uses a different MAF sensor so I ordered the Mercedes part. Chrysler wanted over $600 for one, Mercedes dealers are over $500 and autohousaz is $170 for one that they say is not aftermarket, it's a real Bosch part. Is the difference in the part number and price simply a result of the crossover between Chrysler and Mercedes?

Bruce

Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by delornut
I looked at the MAF sensors listed at autohausaz.com and they list a different part number and slightly lower price for a Mercedes slk320 MAF sensor vs the Crossfire. They list a Bosch w0133-1600866 for $198 for the Crossfire and a Bosch 0280217515 for $175 for the SLK320. I don't think the Crossfire uses a different MAF sensor so I ordered the Mercedes part. Chrysler wanted over $600 for one, Mercedes dealers are over $500 and autohousaz is $170 for one that they say is not aftermarket, it's a real Bosch part. Is the difference in the part number and price simply a result of the crossover between Chrysler and Mercedes?

Bruce
I'll answer my own question. I pulled the MAF unit and found the mercedes part number.

Bruce

Old 05-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Resurrecting this thread because I am looking for a back-up Mass Air Flow Sensor if I destroy the current one during cleaning. I found this Bosch 0280217515 Air Mass Sensor online listed as a Mercedes-Benz part. As far as I can tell it is exactly what is on my car right now , yet of course Amazon says it doesn't fit. Will this fit my 2005 Crossfire Limited?

Amazon.com: Bosch 0280217515 Air Mass Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 0280217515 Air Mass Sensor: Automotive

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=PrisonGuy;479236]I have a 2004 with 54,000 miles. Check Engine Light is constantly on with error code PO100, Mass Air Flow. Engine studders at stops or when initially depressing gas pedal. Sometimes stalls out in these situations but runs great on highway, Etc. Anyone have a similar problem?[/QUOTE
I’m having the same problem and I got a brand new MAF sensor and the problem didn’t go away

Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, first P0100 is a generic OBD-II code for the MAF 101-104 are the specific codes but still OBD. The next layer down are the actual Mercedes codes that will tell you what is really going on but for that you need a scanner that can display them and the least expensive at the moment is the Autel Diaglink with the Benz module (get one free). Next are the Leader CRP123 and the iCarsoft MBII (not the i980). Or a dealer DAS/STAR scanner (are a few in private hands but are expensive).

Since you have the Amazon Bosch MAF (you do have the Bosch and not one of the cheapies ? That is the same one I bought, just is cheaper now), you need to go to the next step and find what is really happening.

Another thing I do is to display my engine parameters with Torque Pro and a cheapie mini dongle. The MAF flow and throttle position are things you can watch and log.

According to the manual "Set Condition: The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor value is less than 16 kg/h when the throttle valve angle is greater than 14° for approximately 5 seconds, or the MAF Sensor reading is greater than a calculated value that is determined by engine speed and throttle valve angle for approximately 5 seconds." and a number of things can cause:
FUSED ENGINE CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Knowing the Merc code(s) can narrow this by a lot.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Une question le maf ou débitmètre d air est il le même sur les atmo que sur le srt6 et je n arrive pas à trouver de tuto comment le démonter si vous avez des photos où vidéos je suis preneur