Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Garage Queens! How Often Should You Drive Your Car??

Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Garage Queens! How Often Should You Drive Your Car??

This is the second question I have for the day! How often should you give the car a good run (at least 50 miles)? Once a week? Once every 2 weeks? Or once a month?

Just curious. My car has been spending more time in the garage lately and I don't want it to deteriorate!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Garage Queens! How Often Should You Drive Your Car??

Personally I think cars that are daily drivers tend to be more reliable. Mine is a daily driver, except in the winter.

The extend of the trip should reach operating temperature. That's why short trips are not good on cars.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Personally I think cars that are daily drivers tend to be more reliable. Mine is a daily driver, except in the winter.

The extend of the trip should reach operating temperature. That's why short trips are not good on cars.
So you have let your car sit for a few months during the winter and it has been fine?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I drive both of my '05s 1-3x per week and try to take several long highway trips each summer. They hibernate for the winter, although I start them every few weeks and try to drive them around the block (weather and road being dry) maybe monthly. Only did it twice last winter. One needed to be jumped but both ran fine.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife's is a daily driver. I drive the roadster once a month or so. The longest I've gone between gas fill ups has been about 6 months.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily Driver here baby!!.....If you must I say drive it atleast on Fri-Sun

Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
So you have let your car sit for a few months during the winter and it has been fine?
Yes, but is start it and let it run every week.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular

My '05 is only driven on weekends. I've had the car since April and have only put 2k on the ODO......

Monty

Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Personally I think cars that are daily drivers tend to be more reliable.
I'v been driving for 32 years and I have witnessed this first hand. Still, I seem to go 5 to 7 days without drving the Roadster quite often.

Something for me to think about...

Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Mine is a daily driver. Usually 6-7 days a week, ~30 miles a day.

If you're going to be driving aound 7 days a week, you might as well drive something you love.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm...i've driven the graphite one 4.9k miles so, that equates to 272 miles per month.

i've driven the black one 460 miles in 7 months so, thats 66 miles per month.

next time i detail them, i'll take pics. nothing like dry, climate controlled storage here in the central valley.

Last edited by musicnsurf; 09-23-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

Here's my opinion after reading many articles on the subject over the years. If you can't bring your car up to full temperature by driving it, your better off leaving it sit without starting it. Starting it and just letting it idle creates engine condensation, moisture, and contamination that is very detrimental.
Also, starting a car and letting it idle in the driveway to warm up in cold weather for your comfort is not so great. Once a vehicle is started cold, it should be driven gently to warm it to temperature as soon as possible. Then drive it hard if you desire!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Per all of the above, there is no golden rule on this topic , but I always try to drive mine at least every 2-3 weeks in the winter, and once a week in the other seasons. A long drive to warm up all of the fluids is best vs a driveway start-up.

I've seen more problems with cars that sit idle for long periods compared to those that are driven fairly regularly.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM

I took it out this morning and gave it a good run for 20 minutes around the neighborhood. Hit speeds at 50 MPH (would have gone higher but was not near the interstate and didn't have the time). The tires were a little wobbly but smoothed out after a mile or 2. I have come to the conclusion (thanks to all of you) that it is best to not just run it in the driveway or garage. It is best to drive it and let all the air flow through the engine.... it also gets everything moving properly (transmission, shifter, tires, brakes...etc). I will probably drive it once a week.... maybe a long drive once every 2 weeks. Unfortunately the car is sitting in a garage at my old place but I will have to get it out of there soon and bring it to my new place. I don't have a garage at my new place yet which is why I didn't move it there sooner.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 09-23-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

It has been my experience that if you don't fly jets, they break. If you don't work back hoes, they break. If you don't drive cars they also break. All these have some things in common. They all have hydraulics fluid, engines, seals, fuel and batteries. It is my suggestion to drive it to at least operating temperature when you can in the winter. Don't just start it. I also suggest you fill up the car with gas to eliminate condensation if it is going to be a long time in storage and I also get a oil change prior to putting the car away for a long winter nap. I also make sure I put Techron Pro-Guard in the car and drive it. It also fights gas line water. Some suggest a charger on the battery. I have not found this necessary because I get to drive it about every two months in the winter. You also need to consider your climate when you look into a garage storage. Like someone said there are no rules just cautions and common sense. Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
It has been my experience that if you don't fly jets, they break. If you don't work back hoes, they break. If you don't drive cars they also break. All these have some things in common. They all have hydraulics fluid, engines, seals, fuel and batteries. It is my suggestion to drive it to at least operating temperature when you can in the winter. Don't just start it. I also suggest you fill up the car with gas to eliminate condensation if it is going to be a long time in storage and I also get a oil change prior to putting the car away for a long winter nap. I also make sure I put Techron Pro-Guard in the car and drive it. It also fights gas line water. Some suggest a charger on the battery. I have not found this necessary because I get to drive it about every two months in the winter. You also need to consider your climate when you look into a garage storage. Like someone said there are no rules just cautions and common sense. Hope this helps.
Well said.... especially about the plane. In the process of asking around, I recently was told (by a plane mechanic) the worst thing you can do with a plane is just run it and not move it. So many people do that and think it counts but it doesn't. The same principle must apply to a car! Besides... I think our Crossfires are happiest doing 120+ MPH down the interstate than sitting in a garage. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM

My XF spent 12 months in my garage without being driven or even started.

The battery died when I came ack. No problems when I started it again, except for a loud lifter tick that went away with a short drive, and hasn't come back since.

My XF has 6700 miles on it now! (I bought it 2 years ago

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have several toys that get used during the nice weather up here. However, for winter time they all take a nap. I was trying to start them all and get them up to operating temp, but find it much easier to keep the battery tender on each car, change the oil before putting them away for winter. Also, adding fuel stabilizer in the tank and letting them run to get the stabilizer into the fuel system . . . . keeping the battery topped up will give it a long long lifetime (still original battery in my 04 coupe) and keeping the fuel system clean ensures no problems. . . . also, I store them with FULL tank of gas. That way condensation is kept at bay - even though they are in warm garage.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

weekend driver here, I drive all week and some weekends in other vehicles for work...so I don't get much time in the toy...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular

Not to rain on anyone's methods but if it were me, if you have to put it away, I would put a battery tender on it, fuel stabilizer in it and wait till early spring to get it back out. Most of the wear ocurs during start up. By just starting the car and not driving it causes a all that wear for not much return. I am thinking the extra wear on the motor is not worth any potential benefit that may exist.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Garage Queens! How Often Should You Drive Your Car??