Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

BAS ESP light. What exactly is it?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAS ESP light. What exactly is it?

I just bought by Xfire 1 week and a day ago. It is very low mileage, (7,015), when I bought it. It now has 8,700 as I have been on a couple of road trips over the week. Everything seems to be great with the car. It looks new inside and out and seems to drive like a new car. Periodically however the BAS ESP light will come on. Some times it is right after the car has been started, other times I can drive for 300 miles or more before it comes on, and at other times it never comes on at all. Another thing I have noticed is that over the course of the last week, maybe 3 or 4 times, the key will not rotate all the way to start the car. If I remove the key and insert again and rotate the car starts right up.

I did a search and found one guy who had replaced some fuses and fixed the problem. I guess what I am asking is this a problem at all. What is the BAS ESP light? I have reset the car by turning the steering wheel and the light goes off, however it will come back on sometime later. Am I looking at repairs here?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: BAS ESP light. What exactly is it?

As crazy as it may seem, check your tire pressures. We had the same issue with our red xfire and found that one tire can be low enough to set off the BAS/ESP light and not the low tire light. A slightly low tire messes with the electronic stability control. Works everytime now.

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 06-27-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As crazy as it may seem, check your tire pressures. We had the same issue with our red xfire and found that one tire can be low enough to set off the BAS/ESP light and not the low tire light. A slightly low tire messes with the electronic stability control. Works everytime now.
Ditto. The BAS/ESP lamp will light up if any fault is found that would/could effect your braking (BAS) or traction control (ESP). Tires that are under inflated, or are triggering a "low pressure" warning from the TPMS system in theory will affect braking and traction, hence your BAS/ESP lamp coming on. I had the same thing occuring while all the time having my "low pressure" lamp on. After replacing all the sensors when purchasing new wheels, all the warning lamps disappeared and have not returned.

You may want to hook up an OBDII reader and check for any codes if you can. This is also very helpful in troubleshooting.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Hmmmm thanks for the tip. I just checked the air pressure this evening, after letting the car cool down for a few hours. I have 31 PSI in both the fronts and 33 PSI in both of the rear tires. I just made a 600 mile round trip over the past 5 days. On the way I think I the light came on once. After I arrived and made several short trips around town over the last few days the light came on periodically. On the way back home the light came on and stayed on for 100 miles or so. After stopping at a gas station I didnt see the light again today. Weird. I did experience the ignition locking up on me again, in the sense that it wont let me turn the key far enough to start the car. I'm going to see if a buddy of mine has an OBD reader for these newer cars.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Banned

I just checked the air pressure this evening, after letting the car cool down for a few hours. I have 31 PSI in both the fronts and 33 PSI in both of the rear tires

FWIW, I had the same symtoms, however I don't have any ignition issues. You don't mention the year of your Crossfire, but if it is an '04 or '05 regardless of mileage, you can expect sensors to start failing as the batteries in them will start losing voltage, messing up the TPMS system with false warnings. You don't mention if your TPMS (low pressure) lamp is on. If so, you have the exact symptoms as I had. Replacing my sensors with new fixed the problem. BTW I was not reading any codes at the time when using a OBDII reader.

Let us know what fix solves the problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 454 Likes on 320 Posts

There are several threads here regarding ignition switches that go bad, lock up and won't turn.
Use the search feature and type "Ignition" and I'm sure you will find more on this subject.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Forum Regular

2004 Crossfire, never have had any issue "yet" with mine..... almost 60,000 miles.... guess I am lucky.

Deb

Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Forum Regular

OK so now I probably jinks myself!!! geeze

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the manual...p135

More here...

Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Well after two days, the BAS ESP light finally came back on. I hooked up the OBD II reader to the car and it found NO codes. Hmm, well I got to get to work.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

There are several threads here regarding ignition switches that go bad
Crossfires too?!!!!
My background is Volvo and we have a history of shiftlocks failing, rendering the stuck key in lock position.
I am finding a lot of similiarities between the MB made Crossfire and our Belgium made Volvo's. Things like locks, alarms, DRL's, mostly electrical stuff. The Europeans do things differently, but all do it the same.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 AM

Hello Guys,

I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire and I am struggling with sensors.

After changing the crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position sensor because the car was stopping by itself, I am now struggling with BAS/ESP.

The gear box is stuck on P and even though I managed to move gear manually I would like to know your experiences.

To be more accurate, while driving the car I noticed a small noise pushing brake. Thus I was thinking that might brake switch.

Did you guys face this issues and moreover is changing the brake switch usefull?

Thank you

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Forum Regular

In my owner's manual on page 151, it states with a malfunction in the vehicle's electrical system, The selector could remain locked in PARK position. Etc.

Perhaps this may lead you to a electrical problem.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that our ignitions have to be reset back to off in order to restart the engine. They only start the car once. This is a "feature" like the horn that only works with the key on.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 AM

Thanks Guys,

I am looking to buy a brake switch and give it a try.

Any reference where I can find it for a 2004 model? I am based in Dubai.

Thank you

Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: BAS ESP light. What exactly is it?

If tires are causing the bas esp light then the tire inflation signal lamp would be lit. You could have another sensor and there are a few. I switch off my yaw sensor causing my bas/esp light to come on when autocrossing, may be there also.
Woody

Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following the manual page 151 bas esp turning the wheel full left and right and center did the trick. Now off to the treated P0410 code

QUOTE=ppro;391822]See the manual...p135

More here...[/QUOTE]

Old 09-16-2020, 01:29 PM

sorry. i fell asleep with hand on keyboard while researching BAS:ESP light on
unable ttto reset lock left lock right
also traction switch has no effect when pressed

Last edited by aussieguy; 09-17-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: fell asleep reading about bsa/esp
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by aussieguy

Ummm, ok? Now what?

Old 09-17-2020, 04:37 AM

apologies see edit above

Quick Reply: BAS ESP light. What exactly is it?