TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

steering / ignition locking

Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
mkl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering / ignition locking

I have seen in Chrysler garages Crossfire instrument panels torn apart because the steering wheel is locked and the ignition switch will not engage.

Mine is getting testy. Anyone else with the problem or has anyone seen a TSB on it?

Thanks

M Powell

Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: steering / ignition locking

mines like butter...

Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

When you turn the wheel and take the key out, this engages the pin into the steering column... locking the wheel. This is a security device. (you probably know this already, I'm just stating for completeness)

Now, when you go to 'unlock' the wheel, do you turn it until the key is easy to turn or force the key to turn to unlock the wheel?

I always release the pressure on the pin before trying to turn the ignition and mine is like CoupeGirl's ... "buttah"

Hope that helps some...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's kind of sticky as well. I replaced the ignition tumbler assy. (I did a detailed write-up on it if you search) and it didn't help much. There's something in the parts that engage/disengage the locking pin that's failing. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to start tearing into it because its starting to annoy me now.

FWIW, I find its easier to turn the key if you hold the steering wheel slightly to the left while doing it.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Re: steering / ignition locking

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
When you turn the wheel and take the key out, this engages the pin into the steering column... locking the wheel. This is a security device. (you probably know this already, I'm just stating for completeness)

Now, when you go to 'unlock' the wheel, do you turn it until the key is easy to turn or force the key to turn to unlock the wheel?

I always release the pressure on the pin before trying to turn the ignition and mine is like CoupeGirl's ... "buttah"

Hope that helps some...
I've always done this AND made sure that I only have the car keys (no unnecessary weight) hanging from the ignition switch.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just whack it with a hammer now and then to get it's attention (not really, my works fine).

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM

My 04 locked up totaly after acting up for about 6 months. I was just thankful it happened in my garage and I did not have to have the car towed. I removed the entire key assembly and ground off the pin the locks the steering post. The assembly the removes the steering locking pin wore out. No replacement parts were needed. It now works better that new and will never lockup again. The locking steering wheel was the only function affected all other security devices, work as advertized.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM

I was going up to kansas city just last weekend and stopped to get a bite to eat and when I returned and attempted to start the car, the ignition was locked and the key would only give maybe a half of an inch. I had the car picked up and taken to columbia and their tech. said that this is not the first time he has seen the ignition system on these cars just lock up. He told me that its something to do with the lock devise in the steer column that is failing.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Cool Re: steering / ignition locking

My 05 had this issue as well... The Crossfire tech that worked on it said he had fixed this on several Crossfires and the only thing in common was they were all Inferno Red...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM

i just replaced mine for the same thing about 2 weeks ago, its the entire lock assembly needs to be replaced ive talked to atleast 5 other crossfire owners who have done this the part runs about 260 list and when you order it with your vin number it comes with an extra key allready in it, it will match your existing one, the only thing is that the new key does not start the car only open the doors the glove box and click your ignition all the way but it doesnot have the sensor needed to start the car it takes about 2 hours to replace the entire thing but after that it good as new.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 PM

I've noticed a little "dirt"/black around the ignition key disk (the disk surrounding the key hole). Does anyone advise cleaning this disk/key hole with a shot of WD40 or other spray lubricant? Would a squirt of light lubricant in the key hole cause any trouble if the key is working fine now? Is there any way to access, quickly that pin mechanism and lub it before it becomes a problem? Thanks...

Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord

Hope that helps some...
Parkay!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM

I am having this problem too, now. Just yesterday I was able to start my car three different times by just turning the wheel back and forth while trying to turn the car on at the same time. Now today I tried for 30 minutes with no success. If I can get it started one more time I am going to take it to the dealership. That or try grinding out the pins as suggested in this thread.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
I've noticed a little "dirt"/black around the ignition key disk (the disk surrounding the key hole). Does anyone advise cleaning this disk/key hole with a shot of WD40 or other spray lubricant? Would a squirt of light lubricant in the key hole cause any trouble if the key is working fine now? Is there any way to access, quickly that pin mechanism and lub it before it becomes a problem? Thanks...
I don't think I would spray anything into the key slot. If you must, use a dry lubricant such as graphite.

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM

I had an 04 Crossfire and it started sticking, then locked up completely. The dealer had to replace the entire assembly. I have an 06 with 5000 miles and no problems yet. If it happens once you better get it to a dealer quick!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Scheduled maintenance on the lock cylinder is to lubricate it *twice a year*

my guess is that if you don't , the above starts to happen.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Scheduled maintenance on the lock cylinder is to lubricate it *twice a year*

my guess is that if you don't , the above starts to happen.
What is the recommended lubricant?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Kaiser
My 04 locked up totaly after acting up for about 6 months. I was just thankful it happened in my garage and I did not have to have the car towed. I removed the entire key assembly and ground off the pin the locks the steering post. The assembly the removes the steering locking pin wore out. No replacement parts were needed. It now works better that new and will never lockup again. The locking steering wheel was the only function affected all other security devices, work as advertized.
Does anyone have thread on how to remove key assembly and what pins to grind off?

Thanks
TUT 04 coupe

Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by bhays
What is the recommended lubricant?
The manual says:

MoparLock Cylinder Lubricant

Whatever that is!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM

I have info you guys may not be aware of on the Crossfires.
This concerns those that have issues where the key won't turn in the ignition and how I fixed it for free (except for car rental during that time). This info really should be a sticky.

I had an issue where the key would not budge in the ignition and I could eventually get it. Also the BAS ESP light would come on periodically. I came online and read about replacing the ignition lock cylinder and gasping at the potential $700 cost. I had the exact same issue and fixed it for free.

I'm not sure which thing actually fixed it but here's what I found out...

I noticed water had probably gotten into the fuse box so as a try I replaced a few of the fuses like the speed sensor, anti-theft..etc. I had the car in the dealer's service drive when I replaced those fuses and the ignition worked again. The BAS ESP light still came on so I kept it in. Ultimately the BAS ESP light simply had to be re-set and that fixed everything. They didn't charge me anything. Very good service at Mission Chrysler in San Antonio, Texas. They have always been great. So the point is that some of you who have spent or will spend $700 on a new ignition may be getting jipped so do what I said before replacing that part.

Speed sensor, anti-theft and I forget what other fuse I replaced and then reset the BAS ESP light and it was fixed.

Quick Reply: steering / ignition locking