Commercial Sponsor Classifieds In order to post in this forum you must be a Commercial Sponsor. If you are not a commercial sponsor you will need to buy a sponsorship to create new threads in this section.

Wholesaler Closeout Parts at RockAuto

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM
Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Re: Wholesaler Closeout Parts at RockAuto

To all SRT Owners in need of a supercharger idler pulley, don’t order the gates #38091 from Rock Auto
I ordered Qty 2 recently on the same order. Received one correctly and the second was an incorrect pulley

Two boxes, same number but different size boxes and different pulleys. I contact the automated help desk (Rock Auto no longer offers any phone support, zero, no human contact allowed, in order to keep prices low, whatever) informed then that the pulley was incorrect, attached photos and was advised that a replacement would be sent.

Received replacement and it too was incorrect. The correct pulley has a different dimension hole on both sides and is a grooved pulley. Item received had the same dimension hole though bearing on both sides and was smooth.

I contacted Rock Auto again for a Gates replacement and was told that I would not receive a replacement because they could not guarantee a correct replacement

And these guys are supposed to be the experts. All someone had to do was open the box and see if it was a grooved pulley. I guess it was too difficult for an Auto Parts supplier to check that the replacement auto part was correct. Good thing they’re not in the do it right business

So I placed an order for a replacement by AC Delco.

This is the correct pulley

Same label on both boxes. Different boxes.

Left one incorrect

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (06-08-2023)
Old 05-26-2022, 12:18 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Been there done that... Happened to me with oil filters pre-purchased because the 'price was right'. Long story shortened (already posted this before), they didn't even pull/change the listing after multiple contacts after the fact pointing out their 'error'. I guess their 'experts' aren't experts at all, and the customer is dumber than dirt when it comes to their listings showing what part goes to their vehicles. In closing, I had to eat the loss (remember, pre-purchased future oil changes, identified just beyond their 'return' window).

IMHO R/A would do well to have a 'human CSU' email/person(s) that has the power to actually 'serve their customers'... I feel with them it is 'just About the Benjamins'

Old 05-26-2022, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

They drop ship from various warehouses and what they charge for shipping is very reasonable compared to other websites. They can't control what the warehouse ends up doing.

They answer emails and I have even requested a call back and they called me within a few minutes. I have never had a problem with them.

That is the risk you take when you order aftermarket parts. I almost always order the part from the original manufacturer so I can avoid these issues.

Bosch and other parts databases claim the Crossfire uses two different oxygen sensors downstream and they are not different. Another example is they suggest different spark plugs for the Crossfire versus the SLK320 and that makes no sense either. Parts databases are not always accurate.

Even on Autohaus, the same parts aren't considered compatible for the Crossfire and SLK320 especially brake parts. That's just how it goes.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:29 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I have to quit reading posts about Rock Auto, every time I read one their damned jingle keeps playing in my head.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:38 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
I have to quit reading posts about Rock Auto, every time I read one their damned jingle keeps playing in my head.

All the parts your car will ever need -- Rock Auto, 'and then some moreeeeeee' LMAO

Old 05-26-2022, 05:54 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
To all SRT Owners in need of a supercharger idler pulley, don’t order the gates #38091 from Rock Auto
I ordered Qty 2 recently on the same order. Received one correctly and the second was an incorrect pulley

Two boxes, same number but different size boxes and different pulleys. I contact the automated help desk (Rock Auto no longer offers any phone support, zero, no human contact allowed, in order to keep prices low, whatever) informed then that the pulley was incorrect, attached photos and was advised that a replacement would be sent.

Received replacement and it too was incorrect. The correct pulley has a different dimension hole on both sides and is a grooved pulley. Item received had the same dimension hole though bearing on both sides and was smooth.

I contacted Rock Auto again for a Gates replacement and was told that I would not receive a replacement because they could not guarantee a correct replacement

And these guys are supposed to be the experts. All someone had to do was open the box and see if it was a grooved pulley. I guess it was too difficult for an Auto Parts supplier to check that the replacement auto part was correct. Good thing they’re not in the do it right business

So I placed an order for a replacement by AC Delco.

This is the correct pulley

Same label on both boxes. Different boxes.

Left one incorrect
I ordered a reman master cylinder from an auto supply shop in town and the part came from Cardone, when it came it was not the correct part, so I spoke to someone at Cardone who was paid to help customers. He said the part I had was the correct part, I told him it lacked certain features that sensors were attached to, he still insisted it was the correct part. He could not understand that I would not have phoned if it fitted correctly, he remained adamant that it was the correct part. His computer said it was the correct part so it just had to be the correct part.
I just returned it to the auto supply shop I got it from and they sent it back.

I got a used part from a member here, AMX1379 I believe.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-26-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes , And you will be ripped off on returns for restocking fees and shipping and anything else they can think up !! That's why I wouldn't rely on them for NOTHING !!

Old 03-19-2023, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wholesaler Closeout Parts at RockAuto c

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I ordered a reman master cylinder from an auto supply shop in town and the part came from Cardone, when it came it was not the correct part, so I spoke to someone at Cardone who was paid to help customers. He said the part I had was the correct part, I told him it lacked certain features that sensors were attached to, he still insisted it was the correct part. He could not understand that I would not have phoned if it fitted correctly, he remained adamant that it was the correct part. His computer said it was the correct part so it just had to be the correct part.
I just returned it to the auto supply shop I got it from and they sent it back.

I got a used part from a member here, AMX1379 I believe.
u

Old 03-19-2023, 09:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Bottom line, only buy from them parts you really,REALLY know will not be returned.